[lbo-talk] European Welfare State

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 13:28:20 PDT 2010

He [Jaz Coleman, singer/frontman of Killing Joke] was the Composer-in-Residence for the EU (related, this clip of the Czech film _Year of the Devil_ ("Rok Dabla") that features him conducting an orchestra: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KR1RPCoEwM> (skip to 4:27) and on on Sept 27 was awarded "the medal of Chevalier of Arts and Letters" in France (<http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/jaz-coleman-knighted-killing-joke-ticket-discount/>)

But - here's what Coleman says about the song "European Super State":

"That was a jam that we did in the studio. Youth's dad was there and he said 'this is great!' He started dancing with a glass of white wine and a cigarette in his hand. It ran very quickly from this. If you look at the song 'Europe' on our fifth album [Night Time 1985_] – Geordie's a passionate admirer of Rifkind and the European Dream, and we're all supporters of the European Ideal, I know Big Paul [drummer] is and Geordie [guitarist] is passionately, so it's just a continuation of our convictions. The origins of the European Union are Jan Huss from Prague in the 1600s. His original idea is worth studying because it's based on the arts, it's based on spirituality. At that time Prague was a bastion of hermeticism and Rosicrucianism and alchemy against the Roman Catholic church, so it's worth looking at our roots there, and that's what we did with this track. It's quite prophetic when you look at the second verse – 'why are the proud descendents of Plato paying off more debts accommodating NATO?' It's what we call the triple-headed head-dress of the jester – the 'Shin', as we call it – which is a prophetic current that runs through Killing Joke lyrics when they are accurate transmissions."

[From: <http://thequietus.com/articles/04796-jaz-coleman-on-killing-joke-and-absolute-dissent>]

:O

To me, it sound way more critical and satirical than what the above would indicate, like it is mocking the EU.

But at this recent interview at France's Hellfest, Jaz is caught telling a French interviewer he prefers European (and Canadian) audiences to American audiences - heh: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH7e3mx_Stk> (at about 2:00)

-B.

----- Original Message ---- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Mon, October 4, 2010 3:03:00 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] European Welfare State

On Oct 4, 2010, at 3:36 PM, B. wrote:

> Germaine to this topic, Doug recently played this new (!) Killing Joke song on

> his show - "European Super State"

Have you figured out what it means? Jaz has some sorta EU gig, right?