[lbo-talk] More on Robert Paul Wolff

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Oct 4 19:34:57 PDT 2010

If you can afford the time, I would read his short parts one and two on the philosophy of sociology. RPW will give you great hints on how to take apart US society and what the asshole power elites are doing.

Sure we already know what they are doing. The issue is putting their activities into an intellectual frame, which will result in solutions---short of just killing them off. Clearly the only good Wall Street banker is a dead one. But that's not likely, and I don't want to do that, so what else can we do?

I think, and maybe wrong, a philosophical analysis of what they fear is somehow the key to political action. What they fear, besides losing their money and power, is the loss of the hegemonic American Identity. It is somehow tied up with US imperialism. So kill the symbolic identity, hopefully you kill the whole drive to imperial domination. Kill the brain, kill the goul (from Night of the Living Dead).

What do I mean? It is somehow contained in RPF's title Autobiography of an Ex-White Man. This Ex-White position is actually a social learning process, not an intellectual one. It's like sex and drugs. You have to have been there to understand it.

I am trying to work up a theory about the difference between desegregation and integregation. In simple terms desegregation was right, but integration was wrong. We want difference and we want to thow out difference. It is a paradox .

The best I've been able to come up with is cuisine. I love hot, spicy, and crude cuisines from Mexico, China, SEA and North Africa. Give me bread or a tortilla or a falafal, or rice, a stinging pickled salad, some hours long stew, or sizzled meat with vegetables, fingers, beer and something wild to drink after, talking poetry, art and revolution.

Strangely I hate California style cuisine because it attempts to resolve difference. I don't want to resolve difference, I want to enjoy it.

Well, I've been drinking, so have become untrustworthy,,,

CG