[lbo-talk] File under adventures in sociology

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Oct 5 19:53:11 PDT 2010

File under adventures in sociology. (A true Berkeley story.)

There used to be a street woman around Telegraph, known as Johnnie of the Dogs, because of her rumored propensity to have sex with her dog pack. My grossly ugly and close disabled friend in a wheelchair and me were hiking down Dwight, on a narrow sidewalk discussing the latest asshole UCB administration politics (he was my boss in a UCB program). D spotted Johnnie, Oh, Look, Chuck, here comes Johnnie... He laughed a dirty little laugh. Johnnie (sans les chiens) was marching along with that grim determination that people with mental disabilities sometimes display. She was certainly no looker herself. As she came up to us and looked up, she let out a scream of horror jumped out in the street to avoid D, and clawed at her self, as if to remove body vermin. I doubled over laughing. D spun around in his chair in merryment. Just think Chuck, we freaked out Johnnie!

CG