[lbo-talk] File under adventures in sociology

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 10:09:40 PDT 2010

At 07:53 PM 10/5/2010, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>File under adventures in sociology. (A true Berkeley story.)
>
>There used to be a street woman around Telegraph, known as Johnnie
>of the Dogs,

I used to see Ruthie the Duck Lady when I lived in New Orleans. She died two years ago:

http://www.mitchellspublications.com/cs/1/pe/index.htm

Ruthie the Duck Lady was walking down St. Peter Street with a little black duck waddling behind her. When the reached Bourbon Street she paused, turned to the duck and said, "You wait here." Apparently the duck did not understand and, crossing the street, was run over by a NOPSI bus. A crowd formed around the moosh of feathers. Back marched Ruthie. Shaking a finger at the former duck, she scolded, "I told you to wait."

[....]