[lbo-talk] Is Europe committing suicide?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 6 08:30:35 PDT 2010

On Oct 6, 2010, at 11:14 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> So if Hudson's argument is true, it means a rather dramatic change of
> not just policies, but also the entire governance mode - a course that
> may wreck not just the working class but also certain groups of
> capitalists (e.g. manufacturing.) This, in turn, begs the question
> how such a dramatic turnaround has been accomplished in a system that
> was designed for muffling conflicts, balancing opposing class
> interests , and maintaining system stability by "buying social peace."
> The finance capital might have grabbed the UK by its balls, but I do
> not think it is an unstoppable force in Germany, France and a host of
> other continental Europe countries where manufacturing still matters a
> lot.

I think the Euro-elite has envied the wealth and power of their American counterparts for a long time. The current crisis gives them a chance to fight a class war from above - and so far, despite some street demos, they're largely getting away with it. When there's no war coming from below there's no need to buy social peace.

Doug