[lbo-talk] Is Europe committing suicide?

brandelune at gmail.com brandelune at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 08:54:24 PDT 2010

On 7 oct. 10, at 00:14, Wojtek S wrote:

> Or is it more or less a consensus among major Euro governments that
> use EU structures as an attack dog to implement unpopular policies
> that otherwise would cost them elections at home?

They do cost them elections. But they don't really seem to care because they know they'll be back after the next government loses the next elections.

I feel (from a rather distant position) that the EU has been a very strong pusher of neo-liberal policies, mostly because EU governance does not depend on elections. It is not always successful but the trend seems to go in that direction, not in more EU wide social protection.

Jean-Christophe Helary