[lbo-talk] Who'll Fight for Us Nov. 3?

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 13:50:51 PDT 2010

At 01:19 PM 10/6/2010, c b wrote:

>CB: I'm pretty sure, Wojtek, that Richard Trumka knows thoroughly
>everything pertinent to labor's interests that has gone down since the
>Obama Admin and before. I'm going with his assessment over yours.

How do you feel about Robert Fitch's assessment of Trumka?

http://talkingunion.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/beyond-charlie-brown/

Anyone who watched Rich Trumka’s performance January 29th on Bill Moyers’ Journal has got to be impressed by his impersonation of Charlie Brown. The newly selected AFL-CIO chief won’t let organized labor’s repeated legislative, organizing and political failures keep him from pursuing the same discredited strategies – any more than Charlie Brown would give up trying to kick the football that Lucy always pulls away at the last moment.

[...]

What Trumka’s responses – or lack of them ­ show is that politically speaking, organized labor in America is no longer in a crisis. It’s in a coma. To expect a top U.S. labor leader to respond appropriately to the challenges workers face is like supposing someone in a profoundly vegetative state is going to spring out of bed and resume normal activity.

[...]