[lbo-talk] China's Future

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sun Oct 10 21:57:15 PDT 2010

A much more productive question is, where should China's developmental state go in the future -- i.e. how can it facilitate more democracy, social equity, and ecological investment. DRR

-------

I posted what I though was a curiosity. It is a presentation of a paper on Chinese philosophies and a resurgent interest in them. The woman presenting the paper is a Chinese academic with ties to the state. It might be worth listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jcdoVIoNJo

Confucianism was an ancient ethical philosophy of state used to train Imerial bureacrats who competed for official appointment by examination in Confucianism. Among their duties and branchs of state duties, I think, was a class who did a form of conflict resolution to disputes, i.e magistrates.

It's really a long shot, but you might find hints about how the Chinese state might be grabbling with the issues you list above and their future but in their own terms.

CG