[lbo-talk] What government spending?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 06:46:05 PDT 2010

[WS:] The M&E argumetn that Charles quotes seems to assume fungibility of the proletariat (i.e that one "unit" of proletariat can be substituted with another "unit" e.g. in a different country.) Only on that assumption it sis possible to claim "universality" of the proletarian movement. No fungibility - no universality, as different "units" will pursue its unit specific struggles rather than a universal one.

If modern history is any indicator, it appears that the proletariat is anything but fungible in every respect, from skill level to market/social position, to identity and ideological value systems. That lack of fungibility of proletariat is the chief reason of the dominant position of the capitalist minority.

Thinking of a "universal" (i.e fungible) proletariat as a pre-condition for overthrowing the rule of capital seems to me like putting the cart before the horse. A more realistic view is to emulate existing successful attempts to gain a hegemonic position. Capitalists are a minority but they have dedicated cadres of their "organic intellectuals and politicians" who implement policies favorable to capitalist hegemony and neutralize opposition to those policies. it does not matter whether capitalists are unified or engage in a bitter competition with one another - as long as their "organic" cadres of intellectuals and politicians are successful in maintaining capitalist hegemony.

The same is true for the proletariat. It does not matter whether it is unified or not or what individuals "units" of it thinks is in their best interests - as long as there is a dedicated cadre of "organic" intellectuals and politicians working to implement proletariat hegemony and neutralize any opposition to it. Of course, current conditions are not very favorable for the emergence of such a proletarian vanguard party, let alone its successful operation, bu those conditions will not last forever. And if the right conditions arise, and the proletarian vanguard party manages to establish its hegemony (just as the Bolsheviks did), the masses will follow, just as they follow capitalist hegemony today.

Wojtek