[lbo-talk] music news

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 12 20:42:45 PDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 11:34 AM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> I still have all my classical records,& LPs can still give me shivers that are entirely absent from CDs.
>
> Only problem is that I'm hardware challenged and cannot figure out how to hook up a preamp to amp to get everything working.
> (Is preamp what I mean? anyway some dohickey that is now needed to make turntables work with modern amps.)
>
> Sigh,
>
> Joanna

Yes, you need a phono preamp to connect a turntable to a modern amp. It's typically running two rca cables from the turntable to the preamp and two other cables from the preamp to the amp. Two easier options: get a turntable with a built-in preamp or pick up an old stereo receiver at a thrift store with a phono input. In either case, you just directly connect the turntable to your amp/receiver with two rca cables. Done and done!

Miles