[lbo-talk] What government spending?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Oct 13 19:19:30 PDT 2010

On 10/13/2010 08:14 AM, c b wrote:
> ^^^^^
> CB: That's not what the historical record tells me. In the Civil
> 'Rights movement , et al. the success was not until the majority came
> to support the initiative of the vanguard. The law was not passed
> until the majority pressured their Congress people and other
> representatives to change it. Congress did not respond to a minority
> of radical activists. Same with the New Deal or the Civil War. Only
> when the goal of the revolutionary abolitionist movement was supported
> by masses in the North did slavery get abolished through war and
> Constitutional Amendment.

Charles, you're being obtuse. Slavery and Jim Crow ended despite overwhelming support from the majority of the population in the South. It is only because the majority viewpoint in the South was forcibly overthrown that life changed for African Americans in the South. Thanks for helping me make my point!

Miles