[lbo-talk] Destroying the humanities

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 14 06:36:43 PDT 2010

Alan Rudy wrote: Keerist Carrol, what humanities curriculum have you been part of for the last forty years? ======

Well, I published an article on Milton in _Milton Studies_ in which I quoted and approved a justification by Cromwell for trying the King of England, a justification which boiled down to we have the might therefore we have the right. I then pointed out that Abdiel, in his debate with Lucifer (soon to become Satan) gave several reasons for rejecting Satan's proposed rebellion, but the clinching one was: God will smash you! In other words, at the most fundamental level, there is no other justification of Right but an appeal to Might.

And that in one of the most respected publications in the humanities.

Carrol