[lbo-talk] Privatized Education Fraud: Stripping to Pay Tuition

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 06:48:52 PDT 2010

[WS:] Interesting piece. However, most private "non-profit" colleges - even the most reputable ones (the Ivy League etc.) - are not far removed from this scam. What they all sell is credentials and in the credentials market it is caveat emptor.

The most ironic aspect of it is that one can get good education at community or state colleges at a fraction of the price charged by "glamour" universities, but in the minds of the students it is the quality of the credentials, not of education, that will land them on lucrative jobs. So blaming the school for graduates not getting jobs they hoped for is like blaming lottery ticket salesmen for selling "non-winning" tickets.

Wojtek