[lbo-talk] Privatized Education Fraud: Stripping to Pay Tuition

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 04:52:34 PDT 2010

DRR: "The studio employees will always answer as follows: ..."

[WS:] I am not sure, though, that these are the answers that people want to hear. The prevailing mode of thinking about education in general is what can be characterized as "frat or club mentality:" - if I get admitted to the right club or frat house, the magic door of prosperity will open for me.

This is the driving force behind the push for private education. Yuppie helicopter parents, who have everything planned out for their young, know that the trick of getting to Harvard or Yale is being on the "right track", starting from kindergarten. Hence they push for private education, often on the public dime. The way it works, at least in the DC/Montgomery county area is to have a shrink certify that the kid has some kind of "emotional disability" and place him/her

in a special education program, which entails the following "head-start" benefits: extra time and assistance on standardized tests - which automatically translates into better test scores - and private placement if the lawyer the parent hire can "demonstrate" that public schools do not meet the kid's "special needs." Of course, those who can afford a $30k a year tuition send their kids straight to private schools without trying to milk the public coffers.

Of course, private schools do their part in meeting the market demand by putting together and marketing programs that are more connected to current fads than to any solid body of knowledge. After all, it is all about being on the "right track" in the "right compartment" and having enjoyable experience all the way - while gaining knowledge, if any, is at best incidental to this process.

My un-scientific observations of public and private universities is that the former tend to provide more rigorous instruction whereas the latter aim at marketing themselves providing a more enjoyable and "results-oriented" learning experience (e.g. trendy or "fun" subjects taught by celebrity faculty.) Of course that does not mean that all that public schools teach is serious knowledge and all that private schools teach is marketing gimmicks - it is a mixed bag in both cases - but marketing of "enjoyable results-oriented learning experience" tends to play a much pronounced role in private schools.

I have little sympathy for people who fall for this marketing of private education crap and then cannot find a job that pays their bills. They made an expensive bet and they lost - even though other less risky and less expensive choices were available to them. The main reason why they made those expensive bets is that they wanted to get a "head-start" in a rat race, be better than others - for which they deserve a hearty "fuck you and pay up."

Wojtek