[lbo-talk] Anyone read Takimag?

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 16:20:46 PDT 2010

I was gobsmacked by some of the reports/writing on the pages of this magazine:

“One of the dominant ideas, to judge from my own reader mail and email, is that Islam is an evil travesty of a religion, founded by a very depraved man, propagated with intolerant cruelty and intransigent hostility towards unbelievers. Given the sheer number of Muslims in the world, and the quantity of land and resources they are sitting on, this seems to me to be a counsel of great despair. The policy it indicates is “separationism”: an end to the settlement of Muslims in Western countries, a bar to further entry of Muslims, expulsion of Muslim non-citizens, and perhaps some scheme to buy out the citizenship of the West’s own Muslims. Bearing in mind that our Muslim population here in the U.S.A. includes a huge contingent of native-born African Americans, the prospects of implementing such a policy in our litigious, guilt-addled, PC-whipped, ACLU-patrolled, “diversity”-worshipping society seem to me to be infinitesimal.”

http://takimag.com/article/is_islam_the_new_communism

There is a cruel, black-hole irony in the fact that Stephen Hawking, the supergenius issuing all these bold proclamations, is very likely at this moment wearing diapers. Hawking at once reminds us of human potential and human limitations. He is considered a peer of Newton and Einstein, yet he has not been able to feed himself or lift himself out of bed since 1974. And I know I’m pushing things into new galaxies of bad taste here, but Stephen Hawking is not exactly what I see when I picture the lord of creation. It seems unimaginably mean to say this, but if Hawking truly had everything figured out, he’d be able to stand up and walk out of his motorized wheelchair. As expansive as his mind is, he seems to be reaching beyond his station in this case. In the end, his arms may be too atrophied to box with God.

http://takimag.com/article/stephen_hawking_the_gimp_who_would_be_god

Ismail Lagardien Department of Politics and Public Administration

Elon University Elon, NC 27244

Tel: +1(612) 227-5037 (Personal)