[lbo-talk] blog post: These Homes Were Made (and Paid for) by You and Me

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Fri Oct 22 14:04:25 PDT 2010

Full at http://blog.cheapmotelsandahotplate.org/2010/10/22/these-homes-were-made-and-paid-for-by-you-and-me/

"When we lived in Pittsburgh in the 1990s, my mother came to visit for a few days. She always wanted to see the Henry Clay Frick mansion, so we drove to Wilkinsburg, just outside the Pittsburgh city limits, to see it. Frick was the chief lieutenant of Andrew Carnegie and the architect of Carnegie Steel’s efforts to dislodge the union of skilled ironworkers from its mills. This led to the Homestead Steel Strike in 1892, one of the most famous working class struggles in U.S. labor history. Frick and Carnegie later parted company and feuded the rest of their lives. Frick abandoned his Pittsburgh home (though his daughter lived their until her death) and built a much grander residence in Manhattan. He said that the smoke from the mills in Pittsburgh was damaging his paintings. . . .