[lbo-talk] has the TP peaked

c.berlet at publiceye.org c.berlet at publiceye.org
Wed Oct 27 08:44:49 PDT 2010

Hi,

Yes, a transient movement. Not likely to institutionalize like the Feminist Movement. But these transient movements can last for years and pull political parties in their direction. Stop thinking about elections and party victories and start thinking about how the TP Movement already is pulling the Republicans AND Democrats to the Political Right. And think about how this will play out in society in terms of legitimizing racism, xenophobia, anti-immigrant aggression, and homophobia.

"Tea Party Loyalists Biased Against Blacks, Latinos, Immigrants, & Gays" by Chip Berlet, Alternet

http://tinyurl.com/teapops-10-26

-Chip

> Marv Gandall
> Michael Lind gives it a try:
> The Tea Party will prove transient By Michael Lind Financial Times
October 19 2010
> ^^^^^^
> New American political movements come in two varieties: genuine
> third-party movements and those that just mobilise the base of one of
the existing parties. The former transforms an existing party system; the latter reinforces it. And the Tea Party is an example of the latter – so while it has attracted a great deal of attention, it has little long-term potential to transform America’s political landscape. ^^^^^^^^^
> CB: Hope it isn't wishful thinking to call the TP transient.
> What are Lind's examples of actual historical examples of the "former" -

third parties that have transformed the existing party system ? I assume he doesn't include Bolsheviks , Fidelistas, etc.