[lbo-talk] Why Capitalism Cannot be Tamed

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 07:06:03 PDT 2010

[WS:] By this logic, the legal system and norms make no sense, because people will always find a way and commit crimes. Yet, criminal activity is rather rare - only a small number of people engage in it and only occasionally. In other words, most people are honest most of the time. It might be a mind boggling mystery to economists, but not to sociologists. It is so, because economics has a fundamentally flawed concept of human behavior that misses its most important aspect - social connections and networks.

Plenty has been written about the importance of social networks in prevention of malfeasance in business and everyday life (references available upon request.) The bottom line is that delinquency is effectively controlled in most human societies through informal social controls. The fact that criminal gangs, which include many financial institutions and corporations, developed criminal subculture that justifies malfeasance instead of controlling it is further case in point. Banksters break the law (regulations) because they are a part of criminal culture - glorified by economic theory - that puts a premium on lawbreaking behavior.

Wojtek