[lbo-talk] Why Capitalism Cannot be Tamed

michael perelman michael.perelman3 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 09:27:33 PDT 2010

Wojtek is absolutely correct. Here is a snippet from my book, Transcending The Economy.

George Akerlof, together with his wife, Janet Yellen, who later became a former governor of the Federal Reserve Board and then the chief economic advisor for President Clinton, analyzed a somewhat similar situation (Akerlof and Yellen 1993). They described a three-party game among potential criminals, the law, and the community. In their game, the community decides whether or not to cooperate with the police based on their fear of retaliation, hatred of gang activities, as well as their judgement of the fairness of police. Gang members can profit from crimes so long as they elude the law. If they fail, they suffer from punishment. Finally, in their game, the government wants to minimize both crime and spending on police. They consider three alternative outcomes. In one regime, punishment levels are severe. The community considers punishment to be unfair and refuses to cooperate with police. As a result, crime rates are high. In another regime, the government sets punishment levels low enough to be considered fair. Even so, some crime exists because consequences of punishment are not severe. In the third, norms of cooperation are so high that no crime exists. In their model, all three outcomes are possible. Once any of the three regimes comes into being, it can be stable.

Back to Wojtek's point now: few people in the community have any notion of economic crime until it hits them personally and they can identify the malefactor in question. Within the business community, people take pride in skirting the law.

I have a hard time imagining someone at the country club loudly proclaiming that he had a great weekend will molesting young children. I can imagine somebody bragging about how he just saved $2 million in taxes by fictitiously moving money into Bermuda. The case of the synthetic drugs has another dimension: globalization. Laws which might be effective in a local community become much more difficult to enforce where money and products easily can move across borders as in the case of the synthetic drugs.