[lbo-talk] tea party numbers

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Sep 1 10:42:12 PDT 2010

On 2010-09-01, at 1:18 PM, SA wrote:

> On 9/1/2010 12:56 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
>
>> So long as the system is able to contain dissident factions within the liberal and conservative parties who alternate in administering it, it is unlikely to come under serious threat.
>
> Ah, sorry I didn't understand what you were saying before.
>
> So if I understand correctly now, a political challenge from the left or right is only serious if it threatens the existence of the "bourgeois democratic system."
========================= I'm afraid you misunderstand me here also.

Many political challenges to the status quo have been and are "serious". Historically, these have come from the unions and allied social movements on the left and have resulted in reforms of significant importance, especially to those directed affected by them. They don't need to be catalogued here.

While anticapitalist revolutionaries played an important role in many of these movements, none threatened the existence of the "bourgeois democratic system" in periods other than economic depression and, in the case of defeated powers, war.