[lbo-talk] tea party numbers

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Sep 1 14:04:35 PDT 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2010, at 4:31 PM, Shane Mage wrote:
>
>> On Sep 1, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
>>> The great historic social movements[aside from the only one that
>>> succeeded. abolitionism] - for trade union rights and social
>>> insurance, for equal rights for women, minorities, and gays, for
>>> an end to US wars of aggression, for safe and clean energy, for
>>> civil liberties, etc. - have all sought to reform rather than
>>> overthrow the existing system and have perforce attached
>>> themselves to the Democratic Party...
>>
>> Which is why all of them have either accomplished nothing or have
>> had whatever modest accomplishments they took credit for whittled
>> away to almost nothing by the bipartisan political swindlers
>
> You'd think, from reading this sort of thing (which I have about
> 1,000 times), that there's a great untapped vein of radicalism in
> the U.S. population that's frustrated by the constant sellouts of
> the Dem Party. There isn't, as far as I know.

If you look at the history of the US in this century and the radical leaders capable of tapping such a vein, what do you see? Debs, imprisoned. Huey Long and Martin Luther King, assassinated. Ralph Nader, slandered and denied any meaningful access to the public forum. Somebody must have been worried.

Shane Mage "Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64