[lbo-talk] Bill Gates as "Tea Party" supporter? where?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 7 06:54:19 PDT 2010

I want to inject explicit politics into this thread, without reference to any other post.

The first fact about techers is that they constitute a major part of the working class -- and that teachers are more important than students.

Then an empirical observation. _Any_ changes mae in education under present political conditions will be worse for both teachers and students. Hence we have to start out by assuming the necessity of defending the status quo -- _regardless_ of what we (radicals) think about that status quo. We can fight for changes when and only when there is already a mass movement which, among other featuresd, unties students and teachers around a common set of principles.

It follows from all this that any discussion of what would be _better_ than the present actuality or what _should_ be the case is empty pllitically.

Instant tenure for all teachers on hiring. No changes which result in firing of teachers. Eliminate merit systsms in promotions and salaries.

Think politically, not like a Platonic philosopher.

Carrol