[lbo-talk] Austerity In The Face Of Weakness

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 7 10:26:10 PDT 2010

123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Yes, I read an interview with Castro once (late seventies) where he was asked whether he foresaw a revo in the U.S.
>
> He said no. He said in order to have a revo, you need "firmness of purpose...but in the U.S., you are told every ten minutes that you want something different [advertisements], so you do not have the proper mental and emotional discipline to carry out a revolution."
>
> I thought he had a point.

Perhaps, but an awfully trtivial one. Do you really want to explain the entire culture and social organization of a nation of 300 million in terms of TV ads for better breath?

I have great admiration for Castro, but like anyone else he can be pretty silly at times. And this sort of pseudo-explanation only serv es to give leftists an excuse not to buckle down to the difficult task of understanding a complex political and ideological structure.

Carrol