[lbo-talk] Austerity In The Face Of Weakness

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Sep 7 11:12:52 PDT 2010

With all due respect, I do not think it's a pseudo explanation.

Or rather, I think Americans vastly underestimate the toxicity and effectiveness of the continual propaganda to which you are subject. Most people don't even recognize it as propaganda.

Does it explaine everything? Of course not. But it's huge.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tuesday, September 7, 2010 10:26:10 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Austerity In The Face Of Weakness

123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Yes, I read an interview with Castro once (late seventies) where he was asked whether he foresaw a revo in the U.S.
>
> He said no. He said in order to have a revo, you need "firmness of purpose...but in the U.S., you are told every ten minutes that you want something different [advertisements], so you do not have the proper mental and emotional discipline to carry out a revolution."
>
> I thought he had a point.

Perhaps, but an awfully trtivial one. Do you really want to explain the entire culture and social organization of a nation of 300 million in terms of TV ads for better breath?

I have great admiration for Castro, but like anyone else he can be pretty silly at times. And this sort of pseudo-explanation only serv es to give leftists an excuse not to buckle down to the difficult task of understanding a complex political and ideological structure.