[lbo-talk] blog post: a nation in decline, part 2: signs of distress

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 11:41:06 PDT 2010

You know folks all these historical figures are still so hotly debated that I've had a very difficult time trying to tease out some standard liberal academic consensus. Everybody seems to have their version. Each one of these guys has a damned school associated with him were scholastic wars still rage.

CG

^^^^^^^ CB: Might this be partly explained by the "publish or perish" and " no copycat/no plagerism" rule of American academe ? The no copycat rule is an expression of American hyper-individualism and anti-collectivity, by the way. Everybody has their own version because they must publish "original" ideas. If they moved to consensus , they'd be admitting lack of original ideas. There's extreme anarchy of intellectual production in the US. ( I have deja vu on this exchange with Chuck)