[lbo-talk] blog post: a nation in decline, part 2: signs of distress

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Sep 7 23:49:48 PDT 2010

CB: Everybody has their own version because they must publish "original" ideas. If they moved to consensus, they'd be admitting lack of original ideas. There's extreme anarchy of intellectual production in the US. ( I have deja vu on this exchange with Chuck)

This was pretty funny. Would the real Marxists on LBO, please raise their hands. That was my first thought. I've forgotten the deja vu part. Please remind me.

But there is something to this publish `original' ideas. I was supposed to have an `original' art style at 25. By 27 I got lucky and found some work of friends down in LA, the Berkeley faculty had never seen and copied the basic approach. Voila, got my degree.

That trick didn't work with the gallery I tried up here, because the woman who ran it, knew the guys down in LA, and started listing them by name... bummer, back to the garage. The trick is to find a `something' and turn it into a brand. Of course once you get this brand, and its a success of some sort, then you have to keep doing it over and over. The same thing goes for the music scene...

CG