[lbo-talk] Technocrats vs. ideologues revisited

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 10:20:25 PDT 2010

At 09:27 PM 9/8/2010, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>6th and S.Union. Just a few blocks west of one of my kid neighborhoods.

And just west of the brand new Ramparts police station, built after the Ramparts scandal. Here's the the communities it covers for you old time's sake:

Angelino Heights, Echo Park, Historic Filipinotown, Korea Town, Lafayette Park, Macarthur Park, Pico-Union, Temple-Beaudry, Virgil Village, Westlake

http://www.lapdonline.org/rampart_community_police_station

>What you don't see in the photo are the years of cop presentations
>at assembly, lectures on drugs, crime, weapons, and generally nasty
>intimidation of kids in school and on the street. It's called public relations

The Ramparts story involved dozens of officers working for a unit called CRASH (Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal

The Rampart scandal refers to widespread corruption in the Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums (or CRASH) anti-gang unit of the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Rampart Division in the late 1990s. More than 70 police officers in the CRASH unit were implicated in misconduct, making it one of the most widespread cases of documented police misconduct in United States history. The convicted offenses include unprovoked shootings, unprovoked beatings, planting of evidence, framing of suspects, stealing and dealing narcotics, bank robbery, perjury, and covering up evidence of these activities