[lbo-talk] education bubble

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 11:08:40 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Alan Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tend to hate this crap - yes, costs and defaults are rising and yes that
> is bad.
> But, really, this kind of thing treats tuition costs - and defaults - as
> ahistorical black boxes that are used, repeatedly, as a hammer to beat down
> faculty salaries, staff wages (and numbers) and benefits -

I feel similarly uncomfortable with complaints about administrative costs. Not because I love million-dollar presidents and their endless expense accounts, but because if sacrifices are made to save on administrative costs, in the end it will be $35,000 secretaries and work-study students, not the Yudofs of the world.

The problem with education -- at least in Texas -- is that states no longer funds education at the level it used to and should now. The neoliberal turn to robust administration is a symptom of that, not a cause.

Of course I'm all for a Vebenian euthanasia of administrators. But if that's what we want, then let's really fucking go for it. The vague populist attack on administrators and salaries will only be felt lower down the food chain and won't essentially change the university; it will just make it more austere.