[lbo-talk] education bubble

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 18:05:10 PDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel similarly uncomfortable with complaints about administrative
> costs. Not because I love million-dollar presidents and their endless
> expense accounts, but because if sacrifices are made to save on
> administrative costs, in the end it will be $35,000 secretaries and
> work-study students, not the Yudofs of the world.

For sure. Over here academics and 'general staff' share a union, which is a very good thing as they can't be played off against one another so easily. I'm skeptical in any case of the idea that administration is bloated, in the sense of useless. Non academic staff are really important to the functioning of the university, and inasmuch as they have expanded it's usually been for good reasons - increased learning and teaching support, library services, etc - it's all good stuff.

Mike Beggs