[lbo-talk] Lay Off the Schools was education bubble

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 13:00:39 PDT 2010

Well, hell, I guess if I shouldn't make negative remarks about schools then I shouldn't make negative remarks about government agencies and I shouldn't make negative remarks about popular susceptibility to paleopopulist/neoconservative horsedookie - I guess I'm left with elected officials and their policies (but, as before, nothing about the bureaucratic enforcement of those policies) and capital.

Sounds bad, but - then, as I think about it... imagine of all the things I can cut out of my classes - and all the classes that can be removed from the curriculum - for fear that critically unpacking the history, content and trajectories of all kinds of social institutions would feed rightist criticism of the state and public employees... cuz there's surely no way that one could make critical points w/o feeding the right. _I_ have probably been completely fooling myself that I've had any success at all with these inherently flawed perspectives, time to whip myself mercilously until I pass out and, upon my recovery, being sure that I apologize to every teacher and state employee I meet for having fed the right wing recking operation so stupidly.

Maybe I can ask Temple University Press to recall the whole print run of the book colleagues and I wrote on the Berkeley-Novartis Agreement, it sure was critical of Berkeley - and, worse, the whole UC system - as a public institution... what was I thinking when I got frustrated that the University Distinguished Professor among us led us down what I thought was a less critical theoretical road than I wanted to take?! I guess he'd already developed Carrol's perspective on all this and why I, too, should prefer Latour to Marx - at least as part of the elements of my public persona and pedagogy that address public institutions and employees, individually and together.

Either that or Carrol's just wrong.