[lbo-talk] Another great food movie...

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Sep 12 14:40:04 PDT 2010

Agreed on all counts. Magnificent! I'm taking it over to my sister's tonight for her to watch.

I remembered someone trustworthy had recommended it, but I had forgotten who. It took forever to get it from Netflix though.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com> To: "lbo-talk" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2010 1:35:01 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Another great food movie...

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Just finished watching another great food movie, is "Secret of the
> Grain."

I told you you'd love it. Not only a great food movie, not only a great immigrant movie, but also one of the greatest ever glorifications of belly-dance.

I do think the first half was a half hour too long though.

> Add to:
>
> Babbette's Feast
> Tampopo
> Eat, Drink, Man, Woman
> Chocolat

Fatih Akin's movie _Soul Kitchen_, currently in theatres, while not really a food movie (it's more a feel-good immigrant comedy, and a love letter to the Altona district of Hamburg -- it might be titled Pretty Happy Things) has 2 or 3 food jokes that are hilarious and would make any movie-foodie's day.

Michael