[lbo-talk] Mosque at Ground Zero - Ignore if Tired of Discussion

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 07:12:28 PDT 2010

Gar

Thanks for your comments...

Ismail

Ismail Lagardien Department of Politics and Public Administration

Elon University Elon, NC 27244

Tel: +1(612) 227-5037 (Personal)

________________________________ From: Gar Lipow <the.typo.boy at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wed, 15 September, 2010 19:13:11 Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Mosque at Ground Zero - Ignore if Tired of Discussion

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Ismail Lagardien <ilagardien at yahoo.com> wrote:

> A. The Mosque should not be built for these reasons

OK - not a Mosque. A community center that includes a Mosque. Need to get at least this right.

> 1. It would suggest that ISLAM, as an essentialised entity (discounting
>the
> range is Islams), had everything to do with the attacks on the World Trade
> Centre; that the attacks were written in the Quran or Hadith. I believe it was
> violent and brutal attack for social (political) and historical reasons. (I
may
> have to rethink/rephrase this)

Your own citing of the range in Islam contradicts this. Do you hold Christianity as an essentialized entity responsible for Christian bombings of U.S. women's centers?

> 2. Building the Mosque is provocative in the same way as telling people
>not to
> sing the US national anthem at a baseball match (or going to a kosher/halal
> market and insisting that they sell you bacon )

Factually you are wrong. My own previous lbo email I think summarized the reply to this:

>Originally the Cordoba House had wide support across the political
spectrum outside the Muslim community including liberals and including right wing commentators on Fox. It was only when Fox started promoting right wing extremist Muslim bashing against the Islamic community center that opposition to it was stirred up. So it is not, as Ramadan implies, that the Muslim community accidentally crossed a line they insensitively missed, and triggered all this hate. Rather, after they had crossed a point with no opposition, a line was drawn behind them with much shouting that they had crossed it.

>Giving in to this bullying will gain the Muslim community nothing. The
process of drawing a line behind you, then crying about how insensitive you are for having crossed that line can always be repeated. Right wing extremists can always weep crocodile tears at imaginary offenses as an excuse to take away real rights. Better to fight it now, without giving racists a precedent to cite the next time.

> 3. BOTH THE ABOVE HAVE TO BE SEEN IN THE FOLLOWING CONTEXT: I really
>don't
> care where people build their churches, as long as it does not involve
breaking
> down people's homes, displacement of people etc.... I really don't give a toss

Except you are siding with racists and Muslim bashers. And maybe if you were simply saying true things that happen to unfortunately help them that would be one thing. But you are saying stuff that is wrong and is also helpful to them. In this context you may want to think it through very carefully and make sure you are right.

> 4. I guess what I am saying is good luck; you have better chance
>building an
> icon of consumer capitalism on the site.

I think your last two points are just taking a foolish mistake and adding a passive aggressive tone. I think if you insist on the first two it is actually less harsh without the last two. But I think you are wrong on the first two points to begin with.