[lbo-talk] Jacobin magazine - issue one released

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 17 09:26:11 PDT 2010

On Sep 17, 2010, at 11:59 AM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> I just wish he'd spend less time telling us that we are ignorant, and more time describing what is going on.

True. And it'd be nice if he showed some understanding of why Americans might find Europe, or a fantasy of Europe, appealing. For all the nastiness of German neoliberalism, there's still less inequality & poverty there than here. From the Luxembourg income study data for 2004 (with poverty based on the <50% of the median standard):

poverty gini Germany 8.5% 0.278 US 17.3% 0.372

So their poverty rate is less than half ours. That's not nothing.

Doug