[lbo-talk] Jacobin magazine - issue one released

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Sep 17 08:59:23 PDT 2010

When I hear of millions of French rioting/marching because the govt wants to raise the retirement age from 60 to 62, when I hear about European-length vacations, when I hear about the health care systems....my mouth waters.

At the same time, I was in Germany (Berlin and a couple of other cities) seven years ago, and I have to say that people looked pretty grim.

I do not mean to dismiss A's criticism of Germany's neo-liberalism. I just wish he'd spend less time telling us that we are ignorant, and more time describing what is going on.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "joel schalit" <jschalit at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 8:45:32 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Jacobin magazine - issue one released

I wouldn't diminish Angelus' criticisms of Germany's version of neo-liberalism. It's awful. I live in Berlin, and also spend a fair amount of time in Stuttgart, the site of the S21 protests. The consequences of the Schroeder government's fiscal reforms are being felt here in all the obvious ways, not to mention Merkel's own contributions. Germans are very uncomfortable, and increasingly angry about it.