[lbo-talk] Jacobin magazine - issue one released

joel schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 08:45:32 PDT 2010

I wouldn't diminish Angelus' criticisms of Germany's version of neo-liberalism. It's awful. I live in Berlin, and also spend a fair amount of time in Stuttgart, the site of the S21 protests. The consequences of the Schroeder government's fiscal reforms are being felt here in all the obvious ways, not to mention Merkel's own contributions. Germans are very uncomfortable, and increasingly angry about it.

I think it's easy to look at wealthier EU member states, outside of the UK, and point to how much better off they are than the US, despite their discussed problems. I'd wager the intensity of what's wrong with Europe today is more a question of where you look for those problems, in every specific member state. Europe maybe largely better off, but it isn't always felt that way, and for many it's getting worse.

Best, Joel