[lbo-talk] Jacobin magazine - issue one released

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 23:33:09 PDT 2010

Bhaskar: As far as Blumgart's views on social democracy, I think he definitely underestimates how far the neoliberalism has advanced in Europe and looks back on the golden age of social democracy with too much nostalgia for my tastes

Somebody: This sounds much like Angelus crowing about the Hartz IV reforms in Germany. But, frankly, nobody questions whether there's been a neo-liberal onslaught in Western Europe. The question is merely whether or not the systems prevailing in certain EU countries is still on the whole more social democratic than in the United States. I think the answer is an unequivocal yes. I suppose I deserve a punch in the fucking mouth for stating the obvious.

Really, only the United States and to a lesser extent the United Kingdom have seen a massive increase in economic inequality in the last forty years. All the Economist approved reforms in Germany, France, and the Nordic countries still amount to less than Reagan achieved in just his first term.