[lbo-talk] European Welfare State

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Sep 20 15:29:59 PDT 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:00:18 -0400 Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> and (relatively) civilized political discourse
> >

> Eh? I don't have time to do a lot of Googling right now, but isn't
> the
> political discourse in much of Europe, particularly around Islam
> and
> immigration, considerably more toxic than our own?

On the subjects of Islam and immigration, European political discourse seems a good deal more toxic than that of the US (and that includes the discourses of elite intellectuals as well as the mass media). However, the US seems to be catching up with the Europeans in that respect. On other issues, their discourse does seems a bit more civilized than what prevails in the US.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant