[lbo-talk] Israelis moving to Germany!

joel schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 10:24:46 PDT 2010

Hah. This isn't new news, but it is still interesting. It's true, and has been for a number of years. As an Israeli citizen, living in Berlin, I hear Israeli-accented Hebrew on the street nearly every day, pretty much everywhere I go. In some respects, Israelis seem more physically present here than they are in NYC or LA, even though they are not.

Many Israelis have German-born parents and grandparents, and are able to obtain second citizenship here that way. It's a way out of Israel, and it is a way into the greater EU. The option is a relief to many. I can't claim any such privileges. My immediate family were not of German descent, and were in Palestine already in the 19th century.

Joel