[lbo-talk] Israelis moving to Germany!

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Sep 22 10:56:02 PDT 2010

Joel writes:

"Hah. This isn't new news, but it is still interesting. It's true, and has been for a number of years. As an Israeli citizen, living in Berlin, I hear Israeli-accented Hebrew on the street nearly every day, pretty much everywhere I go. In some respects, Israelis seem more physically present here than they are in NYC or LA, even though they are not.

Many Israelis have German-born parents and grandparents, and are able to obtain second citizenship here that way. It's a way out of Israel, and it is a way into the greater EU. The option is a relief to many. I can't claim any such privileges. My immediate family were not of German descent, and were in Palestine already in the 19th century. "

So, I'll reiterate my former proposal that one way to solve Israeli intransigence is to offer each and every one of them U.S. citizenship. Though, I suppose, given the state of our economy and social service, they might want to look for a better offer.

Joanna