[lbo-talk] Evaluating the Obama administration

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 07:44:09 PDT 2010

Rudy: "looking for history in the gospels is, basically, a fools errand. Which is not to say that there isn't a history, "

[WS:] I think you are too generous, Rudy. This stuff is basically literature, a bunch of parables, metaphors, stories, myths and what not - no different than any other work of fiction. Saying that there is something factual in such stories misses the point. There is something factual in anything we say - we live in this material world and our consciousness is a reflection of it. The point, however, is that fiction is a hodgepodge of facts and fiction crafted at will to meet a particular narrative need, whereas science describes facts in their proper social, geographical context, and proper chronological sequence and verifies their accuracy to the extent possible.

To look for history in the bible is more than a fools errand - it is a drunkard's search, a search in place where that something simply is not there. As any other work of fiction, the bible may be a good source of anecdotes, metaphors and parables whose meaning is pretty much defined by the user. That is, you can take anything you want from there and place it in your narrative as needed without worrying whether it is a "true" meaning of the source document, as no such such meaning exists. I understand that it may boil the blood of the biblical literalists, whom you can find in strange places including leftist internet forums - but let's face it, theirs is an idée fixe.

Wojtek