[lbo-talk] Israelis moving to Germany!

joel schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 02:03:28 PDT 2010

Thanks for clarifying, chief. I was also trying to point out that, despite the high unemployment levels in the city, and its status as a cultural center for global arts Trustafarians, there are folks who move there to work, too and that they tend to get overlooked. It seems like there are an increasing number of technology startups and designers in town.

I agree, Berlin has a halo that the rest of Germany does not. This said, there is a particular Berlin fetish, amongst Israelis, that's pretty pronounced, and is its own version of this phenomenon. Late in the spring, for example, my wife and I were looking at buying an apartment.

An Israeli friend here turned us on to an Israeli realtor, who had just moved to Berlin from the US, in order to sell property, or so we were told, specifically to other Jews. One building he was selling units in, on Karl Marx Allee, he was apparently trying to fill with Israelis only.

Needless to say, we ended up not doing business with the guy, for all the obvious reasons. His buildings were in far too shitty a condition to consider living in, too.

I saw that Leipzig piece. It was in the New York Times early in the summer, if I remember correctly.

Best, Joel