[lbo-talk] maps that show the racial breakdown of America’s biggest cities

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 11:58:44 PDT 2010

[WS:} I am not saying that segregation is not true, I did not need the maps to know that. I was saying that I do not think it is racist prejudice that is the main reason of that segregation, but rather the market and cultural identities.

wojtek

^^^^^^^^ CB: I see your point.

I think the terms "white supremacy" and "racist prejudice" must always be used with heavy historical consciousness or consciousness that the present is still shaped by history. Though is has made progress, US society is still shaped by the racism and white supremacy of its history. The denial of this is part of the American extreme anti-historical/presentist consciousness.

But I think your point is important. The racism of the present is not at the same level or the same type as it has been historically. But it is at a level such that it prevents overcoming things like preexisting residential segregation and racially endogamous marriage and mating.

It will take one more leap of anti-racist progress to change that.

On your market and cultural identities, I'd say racism is cultural