[lbo-talk] Me, debating London's future, this Tues., 6.30pm

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 07:15:38 PDT 2010

Future City Is London growing too big, too fast?

London is the most populated city in Europe, and still growing. Migration has brought wealth and new talent, but there is a need to ensure the infrastructure meets new needs. What kinds of innovations do we need in the twenty-first century? Can dynamism in past innovation, from the railways and the docks to airports and Canary Wharf, inspire us to respond to new challenges, or should we just put the brakes on and protect London from change?

Speakers will be: Peter Bishop, Director of Development, London Development Agency; Sir Terry Farrell, Terry Farrell and Partners, architect and author of Shaping London: The Patterns and Forms That Make the Metropolis; David Green, director, Civitas; James Heartfield, author 'Let's Build!' and Chris Luebkeman, head of Foresight, Incubation and Innovation, Arup.

The Mayor of London's citywide Story of London Festival 2010 focuses on the capital as a site of ideas and innovation, past and present and future.

Tue 5 Oct 2010, 18.30 - 20.00 Conference Centre, British Library Price: £6 / £4 concessions

http://www.bl.uk/whatson/events/event113793.html