[lbo-talk] Von Hayek was wrong

Mark DeLucas mkdelucas at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 13:36:37 PDT 2011

"Until I came to this I thought you were making a sensible argument. But you are apparently just another of the ignoramuses who circulate lies about u.s. politics and particularly the '60s by associating them with generational differences."

I don't know. What provoked me was a conversation with a person who thinks that 1) a penniless person living with a boyfriend is asset-rich (until she's dumped); 2) that "working for free is a luxury" rather than (much more plausibly) an onerous seeming necessity borne by people, say, like me, who also work paid dead-end jobs; 3) that the hoards of the unpaid are suppressing employment (unlikely); 4) that, logically, all non-unionized workers, paid or unpaid are, in whatever context, "scabs" deserving of our disrespect. And typically when I come into contact with someone so unimaginative, so unsympathetic I find more often than not I'm dealing with an elder -- most usually a self-satisfied boomer. But you're right I shouldn't generalize.