[lbo-talk] Von Hayek was wrong

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Apr 2 14:16:27 PDT 2011

It wasn't the substance of your post I objected to, it was the "boomer" reference.

>From the very beginning in the early 1960s one of the chief methods by which
the mass media distorted and trivialized the actual content of '60s activity was to label it a generational conflict. That along with other idiocies concerning the '60s has frequently appeared on this and other lists. I've just finished reading (actually, having it read to me) Ted Morgan's _What Really Happened in the 1960s_, which contains a detailed history of what he calls the "Corporate Backlash," which continues even to the present, the Tea Party being a recent instance. An accurate understanding of the 1060s is crucial to our political understanding, and even casual references to "boomers" as having some sort of explanatory power contributes to this suppression of politics.

You were trying in your post, if I understood it correctly, precisely to defend politics against mere moralizing. Why then through careless terminology contribute to the very attitude you are attacking?

Sorry for my own rudeness, but as Wisconsin offers a slim bit of light showing in the darkness, understanding our past becomes increasingly important.

Carrol