[lbo-talk] Von Hayek was wrong

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Apr 2 16:10:55 PDT 2011

OK. So how do we collectively act about a situation in which employers require that workers work for free.

Agitate to make that illegal?

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2011 1:26:18 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Von Hayek was wrong

Adam Proctor:

"There definitely is duh a thing. But those judgments must be made in the context of actually-existinga labor movements. In the absence of movements, one cNnot blame a worker for beig forced to accept harsh working conditions, even to work with no pay."

Yes! It is _always_ wrong to make any moral judgment whatever of individuals in abstraction from the existence of collective action. And I would apply this not onAnd I would apply this not on to those who are desperate but also to those who are relatively prosperous. It is incorrect, even anti-political and therefore pro-capitalist, to make moral judgments of the isolated individual, whether he/she is on the streets or making a few hundred thousand a year.

The topic of conversation for a leftist is collective struggle, how to relate to it, how to contribute to its development, never to the activity of the isolated individual.

Carrol

Carrol