[lbo-talk] Desktop Publishing for people who don't know what they are doing

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Apr 8 18:32:47 PDT 2011

On Apr 8, 2011, at 9:01 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2011, at 8:37 PM, // ravi wrote:
>
>> Crap? Come on. They are probably a bit more difficult to use, etc, than the bloatware from Microsoft that people are addicted to like crack. But when some suit that I am not allowed to strangle sends me a "Word document", OpenOffice does a fairly decent job of letting me view it, edit it and send it back without spending so much time on it that I start feeling like a pedophile. :-)
>
> I'm still using an old version of Office, from 2000, because there are many things that it does that the most recent Mac version can't. But still, it works a lot better than OO and NO. Unlike Excel, there's no StatPak, for example. And it runs like uncompiled Java or something - is that what it is? It takes forever to open a doc, edit it, type in it, save it. I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy, but with that freeware stuff, you get what you pay for.

StatPak? You are what we in the industry call a power user - which means, you are on your own! :-) Office from 2000 is pretty old school, so more power to you. Re: NeoOffice and Java, they claim that the majority of it is C++ but there are Java bits: http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_and_Aqua#So...is_NeoOffice_written_in_Java.3F.

--ravi