[lbo-talk] MoDo on Dylan

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 16:46:27 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles Jackson" <cqmv at pdx.edu>

Gotta go the other way on that one: Beatles aren't really worth listening to until around "Eleanor Rigby".

They had a lovely, simple, naive decade, pre Rigby

And a witty, what Schiller would call "sentimental" decade post Rigby.

I see no reason to discount one for the other. They are entirely different moods and motivations.

For more, see Schiller's "Naive and Sentimental Poetry." His "Letters on the Aesthetic Education of Man," also contains some of the best philosophy of aesthetics I've ever read.

Joanna