[lbo-talk] A way of introducing VA for all

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 13 16:52:26 PDT 2011

At 03:44 PM 4/13/2011, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Most of his copy was LA crime plotter, Hollywood gossip scandle,
>Mikey Cohen's latest, traffic accidents, and an occasional
>heartwarming school kids story doing for the troops overseas.

Have you seen this?

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search/controller/collection/examiner-m4405.html

The Los Angeles Examiner Collection consists of approximately 1.4 million prints and negatives from the Los Angeles Examiner newspaper. Almost every event and individual receiving news coverage in Los Angeles during the period late 1920's to 1961 is represented in the collection. Coverage is broad including crime, sports, society, art, and entertainment. The collection forms part of the Hearst Collection and was a gift from the Los Angeles Herald Examiner Division of the Hearst Corporation in 1978.

One of my faves, from a set called Art suicide, 1952:

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assetserver/controller/view/EXM-N-9536-011~2

The building your dad worked in was designed by a woman. Maybe Hearst was a man-hater. There are plans to turn it into condos but it's taking a long time because preservationists have a lot of pull now:

http://www.preservela.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=260&Itemid=37

The Herald-Examiner building was designed and built by <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Morgan>Julia Morgan, California's first registered female architect. The Mission-Revival design with its multicolored domes so delighted William Randolph Hearst that he retained her to design and build his grand project, Casa Grande and the guesthouses on his property at San Simeon.

[...]

The Herald Examiner ceased operations in November of 1989 and since then, the building that housed it has been empty and used mostly for the filming of various movies and TV shows including "The Usual Suspects" and "X-Files." Several fates have been considered for the building since the newspaper closed, including demolition. Designated a Los Angeles landmark in 1977, preservationists worked get it declared eligible for listing on the California and National Registers in 1992, a move the Hearst corporation opposed.

[...]

A historic consultant has been working with the project team to ensure that Mr. Mayne's design for the towers will fit with the existing historical context of Morgan's original design, and a preservation architect is overseeing the rehab of the building, which includes restoring original features such as the street-front windows. The design for the towers won Los Angeles City Council approval in 2007. No official timeline for the project has been released.