[lbo-talk] A way of introducing VA for all

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Thu Apr 14 07:59:48 PDT 2011

Hey that was nice. There are all kinds of things about LA history that I never come across. For example during the late fifties and early sixities they built a sodium cooled reactor out in Simi Valley near where Rocketdyn used to test their Atlas power stages. In the early evening you could see the western mountain range light up and hear a distant roar of the rocket engines. Space travel was only a few decades away.

This reactor was a Popular Mechanics model that was supposed to power Simi with electricity, when that exurb was being developed with miles of tracks, apartments, and shopping centers. It was like sprawl on steroids.Tackie LA modern sci fi was being made into reality. I was reading, that after a few years they shut the reactor down after some accident. At a bet it is still there quietly waiting for the big one...

CG